Learn to converse with children – Shafqat Ali
Training children is a process in which parents have to learn on their own before teaching. A list is made of the arts and skills that must be learned in the process. The art of communication is at the top of that list.
What is the art of conversation? The art of communication is to know what to speak, why to speak, when to speak and how to speak? That is, it is the name of organizing your daily conversation. Adopting this style of conversation is more important while talking to the little ones than the adults because the adults often understand our words but the children could not understand them. It’s as if children learn what we say and how we say it.
We talk to children every day about different topics. Most of the conversation is thoughtless or unnecessary, such as where did you go? What are you doing? Do this task….. Or is it professional type, for example, how was yesterday’s test? When is your final term? Who in class is smarter than you and getting higher marks? etc. That is why a communication gap has been created between parents and children. Here are some suggestions that would be effective for parents.
• Make a conscious conversation with children which means you should know what you are saying and why are you saying it.
• Come to the child’s physical level and talk to him attentively.
• Conversation should be easy, unambiguous and clear. Choose words based on your child’s age.
• Understand the child before explaining. Examine the child’s mental and emotional state.
• Try to listen more than speaking during the conversation.
• Adopt meaningful gestures because they have an effect.
• Don’t just follow the Do or Don’t method, but also include questions and answers in the conversation. Try to keep the questions open ended so that the child thinks, understands and think of something new before speaking.
• Praise or criticize the child’s behavior, not the child himself, so that he can focus on changing his behavior instead of being selfish.
• Do not be overwhelmed by emotions during the conversation, i.e. the conversation should not be reactive but responsive.
• Converse when children are in a position to listen and understand. According to experts, children usually listen intently before going to bed, during travel, on the occasion of a success.
• It is important to have a dignified conversation, but this does not mean that we should be too serious. Humor is also important.
• Children are very interested in stories so explain them in the form of stories. Read stories and create your own stories